Do you want to start a personal blog but can’t afford the costs of web hosting? If yes is the answer, then here is a good news for you. You can now host your person blog on your dropbox account. Well, for those, who don’t know about dropbox, let me tell you that it’s a cloud file storage service that you can use to store your files.
Storing your files in dropbox ensures the speed, security and more accessibility options. Since we are going to host our blog on dropbox account, so our blog will get the same features. Before starting with the process, let me tell you that I am talking about the personal blog only. Don’t try to host your WordPress blog on dropbox. So let’s proceed with the method now.
How to host your blog with Dropbox
2) It will automatically create a folder ‘Apps’ in your dropbox account.
3) Now you will come up across the settings to personalize your blog.
4) Give username to your Scriptogr.am account. Enter wisely as this username will work as URL of your blog.
5) By default you will proceeding by setting a sub-domain. You can change it to custom domain by going to the ‘Settings’ section.
6) You are done with the setup process of your blog. You have set a URL for your blog. The next steps will teach you the blog management like new blog posts, pages etc.
7) In the first step, we authorize the dropbox account to be used with Scriptogr.am as a result of which, a new folder was created. The folder contains subfolders in it. So navigate to Scriptogram > Posts.
8) This is the folder that contains all of your blog posts and this is the place from where you will be uploading new blog posts.
9) Simply write your post in the text format and upload it in this ‘Posts’ folder.
10) But be aware that while writing your post in the text, you need to follow a certain format. Title and Date are must before starting with the post, otherwise the system will fail in its task. So start with this format and then only start writing your blog post below it.
11) The ‘Posts’ folder contain all of your posts and these are simple text files as I told earlier. But in order to work these simple text files as blog posts, you need to change the extension of txt files. It must be .md (markdown).
12) You need to go to the admin panel before your posts go live. You can do it by clicking on ”Synchronize” button.
13) As its your first time, so you can start with a simple blog post and can see that how the blog looks like.
14) If you are not happy from your blog’s look, then you can navigate to the admin panel and can change the CSS, HTML there.
15) Once you are in the admin panel, you can find the options to edit CSS, HTML or add a new code to modify your blog’s design according to your desire.
That’s it. You have now successfully created a blog, which is not any normal blog as it’s not hosted on any regular web hosting service, but on the best cloud file storage service Dropbox. Pretty cool idea. Isn’t it? As explained before, use this method only to host your personal blog/webpage. Don’t think to start your WordPress blog on it. For that, you still need to pay to the hosting company. Sorry.
If you face any problem in any step, then ask us in the comment section below.
Written by Sai Krishna. Edited by Aritra Roy.
Hey readers, Thanks for reading my useful tutorial about hosting your blog on Dropbox, I’m sai, I love to write unique tutorials on specific software’s. I’m working at Itransition software company.